Friday, August 26, 2011

The Swing of Things

Did you ever hear that old saying, "The more you do, the more you can do"?  I've always believed in it, and now that I'm teaching I believe it to the core.

So some of them might hate me.  Some of them just hate writing.  And sure, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they still didn't understand the assignment after I explained it three times.  Yes I stumbled today when the pre-printed handouts the department gave me referenced last year's comp class's assignments instead of this one's.  But I'm also sure they can't tell this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. 

I'm loving teaching, but perhaps more importantly I'm loving the cohort I'm teaching with.  Either the stars aligned for us, or the university's application readers have a knack for selecting mostly compatible kids. (We share such a cramped space, it would be awful if it were jammed with a disagreeable crew.) A small group of us had a celebratory pint after class today, at the local dive bar with the sticky floors and the peeling tabletops. We started out talking about our students, then about the program, and then ended up discussing genealogy for an hour.  It was nice to talk about something besides school with my schoolmates, after these two grueling weeks of teaching practicum and then BOOT! right into teaching.

It is just so awesome to work with and socialize with people who get the thing you are doing with yourself!  (And it helps that they're all real smart too.) I am working hard and probably tiring myself out because of it, but it feels good.  This is not work, I keep thinking.  Those other jobs were work.  This is just what I do.

This is the longest I've been away from this blog, but I wanted to post something to record that I'm not done with it yet.  This has been a crazy month, and I will get back in the swing of more things than ever pretty soon. It seems even in the short time since I have started the school year that I can do so much more with myself.  I'm starting to love routines, because they mean everything will get done. I pack lunches for me and my first-grader, I help him with his homework, I grade my students' homework, I do MY homework. The house is getting messy during the week, but I'm a whirlwind of cleaning energy on the weekends.  And then there's the band. New songs this month, and practice every week, and editing video for our website. HOLY CRAP how am I doing all these things?  And I still want to post my little essays here.  I know I can find the time, because: "The more you do, the more you can do!"  (For about 16 weeks anyway. Week 14 I know I'll be begging for Christmas to come.)

1 comment:

I publish all the comments, the good, the bad and the ugly. Unless I have no idea what you're saying. If you want to email me (with only good I hope), I'm at rbyrd [at] niu [dot] edu.