Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Lame Excuses


I'm working on some things. Something on the Smithsonian's writers, something on cleverness, something on animal studies in literature.

But before I get started writing I want to make excuses for why I haven't been writing. I've been rather blurry and bleary and unable to work this summer, but I won't know why until my incredibly bad student health insurance kicks in next month. I was looking forward to summer as a time of productivity. Last summer I blogged with great frequency, and this past spring I successfully used this outlet as a primer for writing papers and as a creative break from the academic grind. I don't know if it's burnout or anemia (possible with the whole vegetarian thing), but something's been wrong and I hope it gets fixed soon. Physically, I'm pretty OK, but I haven't been able to concentrate and writing complete thoughts is kind of hard. Maybe I need some friggin' Qigong or something.

If any fellow students or avid readers have experienced a period like this, please let me know that it's normal and OK. After last semester, burnout makes the most sense as an explanation for my blahs. I had 20 credit hours plus French lessons, a play, and philosophy club. So that could have killed me and I'm lucky to be alive. I'm still very much interested in everything, and I'm still reading . . . And I think my sense of humor is still intact. I just can't DO anything. Better for this to happen now than in grad school, but it certainly stinks that it's happening while I need to be preparing for GREs and such. I'm hoping the first day of school will be a magic bullet.

I only have three classes this last, last (LAST!) semester, plus my senior project. Hopefully it will go by much more breezily than credit-crammed Spring '09.

Thanks for any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I publish all the comments, the good, the bad and the ugly. Unless I have no idea what you're saying. If you want to email me (with only good I hope), I'm at rbyrd [at] niu [dot] edu.