Saturday, May 16, 2009

Library, Sweet Library


I'm at the library. I feel like I belong here.

The people who work here are nice to me. The books are all accessible to me. I have a dollar or so in fines but no one cares that I haven't paid them. There are high ceilings, comfortable chairs, free computers, wifi, and big studying tables in here. They let you sit on the floor. People actually look at each other between the stacks. There are three bike racks and a reading garden outside. A coffee shop in the lobby makes fancy things and gives out free samples. And even if my local library were not so well-funded (like the linoleum-covered, crusty-booked library at school) I would love it just the same, because:

"There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest consideration."

That's what Carnegie said.

I had a shitty day of bank tellers treating me like crap, yuppies in stores sneering at my clothes or youth or whatever they didn't approve of, administrative ladies talking to me like I'm ten, and gas pumps that didn't like my debit card. I cursed a lot in the car between all of these places.

And now I'm at the library. I'm myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I publish all the comments, the good, the bad and the ugly. Unless I have no idea what you're saying. If you want to email me (with only good I hope), I'm at rbyrd [at] niu [dot] edu.