Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ideas and Shit

Back in April I started a list of ideas, and having only done about two (about) of them, I'll post the rest here to kick myself in the corduroy blog-pants.

Defense of Rock series: Dionysian/Wagnerian music as per the Nietzschean definition of good tunes, rock studies v. theater studies/film studies/etc

Ada Lovelace Apology (I was supposed to write about a woman in technology on Ada Lovelace day, but I am just not enthused about such things. Though I'd really like to write about Ada herself! Lord Byron connection, you know...)

More rock philosophy on: the grand illusion, money

The philosophic background -- philosophy in the curriculum

Academic guilt anonymous

A year of S/Z

Humor in Philosophy

------------------------------------------------------

And for your entertainment (since I am still not productive after the Euro trip) here is a conversation about romance novels and pasta:
10:41pmRobyn

making fun of romance novels came up in todays blog post

10:41pmHenry

I saw that, haven't read the whole thing

10:42pmRobyn

and then when i searched for covers on the net, i found that there all kinds of are people making joke covers

10:42pmHenry

oh those are great

10:42pmRobyn

i wanted a scottish one, and sure enough, there was "For the Love of Scottie McMullet"

10:43pmHenry

HA

10:43pmRobyn

:D :D Made my day

10:44pmHenry

http://worldoflongmire.com/features/romance_novels/

did you see this site?

10:45pmRobyn

Sex train. HA

I found a blog where a girl posted up three real covers that were just as sick

10:46pmHenry

really?

10:47pmRobyn

http://thelitconnection.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/3-cheesy-romance-novel-covers/

heart mate rocks my world

10:48pm>Henry

that's some cat on that cover

10:49pmRobyn

the guy is not even a romance novel cover guy

hes like a math teacher or something

who goes clubbing with his cat on weekends

10:49pmHenry

maybe a D&D nerd

brb

10:50pmRobyn

k. the author of heart mate actually left a comment on the blog and she wasn't mad at all

10:53pmHenry

I completely forgot to start the pasta first :(:(

oh well

10:54pmRobyn

i thought you had the water on already?

10:54pmHenry

it was boiling

just without the pasta

10:54pmRobyn

im sorry, i distracted you with rippling muscles

10:55pmRobyn

im reading an exerpt of heart mate now

it is unbelievably bad

i have read romance novels that were at least funny

this is unreadable

10:56pmHenry

what's the setting?

10:56pmRobyn

there isnt one

10:57pmHenry

I was hoping it would be a math class

10:57pmRobyn

its a burly magical guy rolling a set of dice

he owns a magic shop

or some shit

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The publisher must have read some of the online complaints and laughs about this cover, because they updated it to a close-up of the sinewy tattooed arm of a leather-vested hunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I publish all the comments, the good, the bad and the ugly. Unless I have no idea what you're saying. If you want to email me (with only good I hope), I'm at rbyrd [at] niu [dot] edu.